Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Oh How I Want to Be a Philosopher, A Philosopher I Want to Be Part 3

But how do I become the philosopher of whom I want to be? What else am I seeing which needs to be reviewed in order to make a synthesis of what I see in being? As I look around and see people and things I see two things. I see things which are me, and things which are not me (or "the other"). In order to understand me and not me, there must be some way to examine knowledge. What do I know about myself? I know that I appear to exist, not only because I feel a recognition of my own existence, but also because "the other" appears to see me as well. (Keep in mind I am only speaking of human subjects, objects and animals are another issue entirely.) So I appear to exist, which we'll consider good enough for now, since we are only taking what we see on sight, and the synthesis comes later. However, I also know that "the other" exists as well. "The other" exists because this person can recognize my appearance, but also has the capacity to recognize themselves. I can understand this capacity to recognize herself because she can tell me about her existence through memories of happenings and occurrences.
"The other" also has differences from me. No matter who "the other" is there are differences; whether they be physical differences, differences in emotional experience, or in ways of seeing the world. "The other" being different is something which is unavoidable. Different subjects have different modes of experience. These experiences affect how "the other" takes in experience and interprets truth, and it will be different from what I see. This leaves the issue of who is correct, myself or "the other", and this has ethical consequences. For now, it is good enough to know the existence of "the other" and to ponder this existence before we move to answer questions about truth.
I apologize for the delay in posting, I was away in Florida for a conference where this issue of "the other" came up in many speeches and I wanted to write about it as soon as I could when I got back. Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion of Oh How I Want to Be a Philosopher, A Philosopher I Want to Be. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment