Thursday, July 15, 2010

Some Random Articles

Okay so I haven't been posting as often as usual - in my defense it is summer and there is no homework for me to avoid by blogging! Also I have recently hit a dearth of ideas. I am starting to formulate a few topics to post about but in the meantime, and so this blog doesn't have a most recent post that is almost a month old here are a few recent articles that I have read and enjoyed and a few quick thoughts about them:

Landscapes Grittier Aspects:
One of the greatest programs ever created was probably google earth. I am one of those people who can spend hours just looking at different cities and countrysides. As a Simcity player as well, I have been forced to ponder the little ugly aspects of modern human development - like rail-yards and landfills. Here is a painter that takes on the same topics in his landscapes. I had never heard of him before but his paintings are illuminating.A Living Memorial: A look at the Lincoln Memorial and the architectual thought that went into it's construction.

The Education of E.F. Shumacher: I had never heard of the book "Small is Beautiful" but I may have to check it out now. A fascinating man.

The National Vice and the Kingship of Christ: A look at the problems America faces because of some of its cultural and philosophical assumptions.

A Water hole: Ashfall quarry, 10 million years ago: A little bit of an introduction into a wonderful fossil quarry that sits out in western Nebraska.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment