Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Music and Symbol: Love and Life

I've been doing a new exploration lately as I've been writing for my comprehensive exams. I've found the last.fm feature on my XBOX, and I've been using that to explore new music. It is because of this that everyone can thank for this reflection.

Something's been striking me about music lately, as I've found deeply symbolic, loving music in unexpected places. Most of my IPOD is Christian or instrumental music, as these have been deeply peaceful symbols in my life. They continue to serve this purpose. The explicit symbol Christian music gives of God's love in its depths serves a purpose of bringing people into worship. It can also be useful to be a good reminder of God's presence in the world for those who like explicit symbols. Instrumental music can also provide a means of reflection without words. This reflection is dependent on the tones the songs utilize. Scary music can bring up scary memories, just as happy music can bring up happy memories. (Or in my case, memories of beating certain games.)

However, what I'm also starting to notice with some Christian music is that the symbol becomes so saturated in the song that the message gets watered down because it's too simple. This oversaturation limits the growth of people's minds to expand music into love. Add instrumental music to this mix and the images don't grow, as they are limited by the oversaturation of imagery in the words that actually have lyrics. Again this only applies to some Christian music, other artists really portray multiple images in song very well. (I've found a lot of success finding artists that aren't necessarily in the Christian mainstream, except Matt Maher, he's got good stuff for someone in the mainstream.)

I've found something fun in really engaging other music to expand my music library. In a lot of music, there is implicit symbols even if it does not explicitly speak of God's life. These implicit symbols might not say God or even love directly in the text, but the imagery given in the music might draw people to these kinds of thoughts.

The other strength in diversifying my music is that different music speaks to a lot of different experience. System of a Down speaks a different symbolic language than Matt Maher or Simon and Garfunkel. Music can speak of anger, sadness, despair, or joy. Diverse music enables one to engage all sorts of feelings, which can enable a person to love deeply as they engage the symbols in their own musical listening practice. It's useful for ministry and love as it can help me search for God in different and unexpected places.

The exploration of new music has been fun and a project I hope to continue for a while. My goal is to keep some of the old explicit symbols while searching for new implicit symbols to gain the ability to attain more symbolism. If I write many blog posts concerning saturation and the obsessing of certain philosophical concepts in our application to the world and religion, then my music tastes should reflect my thinking and feelings. Another life lesson I've been learning in my theological studies is that my work operates better when my mind and heart operate in cooperation with each other. This enables me to give a more authentic reflection, and growing my music library is something I look to be another part of that project.

Stuff I've found so far that's good: (Sidewalk Prophets, as far as I can tell an unknown Christian band but they have really good stuff: Vertical Horizon, Matchbox Twenty (yes, old pop, but I just really don't like modern pop), Simon and Garfunkel, some System of a Down, some Korn, some Godsmack, Three Days Grace, Five for Fighting, and some others.

I've had a lot of fun expanding my music library and look to continue this project for a while. I also want to wish everyone a Happy and Blessed Holy Week and that God will grant peace and love during this week, and that in response, people will be inspired to love God and neighbor and make better choices for the common good. I know the amount of saturation I put on this blog makes certain people think "I'm Just Carrying On" (Vertical Horizon), but I do like my writing and my audience. (Assuming you're out there.) Prayers and peace for everybody.

Aristocrates

No comments:

Post a Comment