Monday, September 19, 2011

"The Well and the Gravestone" by the Vespers

"Here lies the heart of me. Buried with an unmarked gravestone. No name just the dates you lived and died and now I want it back.
Always fighting but never seeing the way. Teach me how not to be afraid. (counter-melody: teach me to love again, to love again).
Take me down and let me see, the well that's full of bravery, and baptise me so I'll be free, to do the things I fear.
Always fighting but never seeing the way. Teach me how not to be afraid (counter-melody, teach me to love again, to love again).
Hiding in a filthy hole with a battered, bruised and blistered soul, we will laugh the day I'm whole and I'll finally see why I used to cry. Ooh ooh ooh ooh, ahhh, ahhh, ahhh
Always fighting but never seeing the way. Teach me how not to be afraid. Always fighting but never seeing the way. Teach me how not to be afraid. Once again, once again."

Heart break and loss is something that existentially shakes all people. However, some of the grace in heart break is that it has the potential to liberate people from fear. There is a need for grace in order to find strength to love again. When hearts break and people lose hope, there is a temptation for despair. This song is a great message to keep fighting and embrace the future hope that can come forth in times of suffering. This is a short meditation but I want the song to speak for itself.

Aristocrates

No comments:

Post a Comment